Pathum Thani is a neighbouring province of Bangkok, only 46 kms. north of the capital and possessing an area of 1,525 sq. kms. Situated in the fertile Chao Phraya River basin with many canals and tangerine orchards, the area was originally named Sam Khok. Founded in the Ayutthaya era, it was a settlement for Mon people migrating from Burma over 350 years ago. In 1815 when King Rama II made a royal visit to the area, the inhabitants offered him large quantities of lotus flowers, giving rise to the present name, as “Pathum” means “lotus” and “Thani” means “city”.