A province in the Lower North, Uttaradit has a long history going back to at least the Sukhothai period, which is around the 13th century. Today, it is most noted for the cultivation of ‘langsat’ fruit and for the major lake formed by the Sirikit Dam. The provincial capital is located 491 kms. from Bangkok and the province covers an area of 7,838 sq. kms. The original town, called Bang Pho Tha It, was located on the right bank of the Nan River. A flourishing port for regional trade, it was renamed Uttaradit, literally means the Port of the North, by King Rama V (1868-1910) and made a provincial capital. When the northern railway line was built in the early 20th century with a stop at Uttaradit, the town received a further boost. Unfortunately, the town centre was largely destroyed in a fire in 1967 and was rebuilt in a modern style.