About Rumble on the River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai
After a three-year hiatus, Rumble on The River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai (Rumble) returns to NYC as a collaboration between the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Friday Night Fights. The event is scheduled to take place on August 3, 2017 from 6:30pm – 10pm at Battery Park City (Rockefeller Park). In case of rain, the event will be moved to Friday, August 4th. It’s free! RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1756960944602602/
This is exciting news for martial arts and Muay Thai fans in NYC. This year’s event marks the return of this long-time NYC staple and will feature 8 Muay Thai fights from some of the city’s best up-and-coming fighters. And if you get hungry, don’t fret, some of NYC’s best Thai restaurants will be selling their dishes and beverages during the event, including Pok Pok NY, Sugar Club, Chang Beer, and more.
Did you think fights and food would be the only thing returning?
Wai Kru Performance
Guests will also be treated to one of the largest Wai Kru performances that will feature several fighters from several MMA gyms around NYC. For those who may not be familiar, Wai Kru is a Thai ritual in which students pay respects to their teachers in order to express their gratitude and formalize the student–teacher relationship. It is regularly held near the beginning of the school year in most schools in Thailand. Previously in NYC, this ritual has only been performed by a small group, and as Rumble makes its return, they’re doing it by trying to create the largest Wai Kru performance in NYC.
If you want to join in the ritual, you can sign up by contacting Justin Blair, founder of Friday Night Fights at JB@fridaynightfights.com.
And we’re still not finished!
Our Partners & Giveaways
TAT is hosting several giveaway opportunities to win prizes, and you must be on site to claim the prizes when winners are announced around 9:45 PM. To enter the chance to win, visit the TAT booth to signup. The prizes include:
- Grand Prize: TAT & EVA Air will be hosting two “Amazing Taste of Muay Thai” trips to Thailand to experience what it’s like to train like a fighter.
- Second Place: Fifth Avenue Thai Spa NYC will be hosting two “Amazing Thai Massage Experiences” for two as second place prizes.
- Third Place: TAT will be giving five “Amazing Thailand” bags.
Other sights to experience at Rumble include:
- Muay Thai Demo & Training Tent – Learn the basics of Muay Thai to get a glimpse into the same techniques the fighters use.
- Thainesss Through My Skin – For fun, they will be on site to have Thai tattoo stickers available for those who want a cool take away from the event.
- Fifth Avenue Thai Spa – Everyone could use a little relaxation with amazing Thai massage
- Chang Beer – They are the official beer sponsor of Rumble on The River – Amazing Taste of Muay Thai, and Chang Beer will complement every dish you eat at the event.
- Pok Pok – Pok Pok will be on site, selling delicious somtum, khao man somtum, moo whan, sai eua, and som vinegar.
- Sugar Club – They will be selling tasty Thai desserts and Thai drinks
While guests will be able to enjoy the fights for free as they’ve always been able to, this year’s Rumble will also feature the following:
- 6:00 p.m.: The event is accessible for media and VIP only and you must check-in at the TAT press check-in Booth.
- 6:30 p.m.: The event is open to the public with a performance from Ram Klong Yao Thai Dance following the welcome announcement. If you’re interested in participating in the giveaway, you must signup at the TAT booth.
- 6:40 p.m.:
- Opening remarks from the Tourism Authority of Thailand
- Supermodel and Muay Thai fighter Mia Kang will join the event as a guest of the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Mia has recently competed in a professional fight in Thailand, and she is a huge advocate for the sport. She will join TAT on stage to provide opening remarks, as well as share her passion for Muay Thai, encourage more women to study this art form, and she will discuss what she loves about training and traveling to Thailand. You can Tweet or Direct Message your questions to @ThailandInsider on Twitter or Instagram that you’d like to ask Kang.
- One of the largest Wai Kru ceremonies will be performed and led by Chris Romulo
- 8:15 p.m.: Soeng Kratip Thai dance performance by Siam Classy Team in front of the pavilion in the park
- 9:00 p.m.: Soeng Kala Thai Dance performance by Siam Classy Team in front of the pavilion in the park.
- 9:45 p.m.: Closing remarks with the giveaway winners announced. Winners must be present to accept the prizes.
- Throughout the night, there will be a total of 8 fights starting at 7PM