“Get ready to rumble,” is probably a common phrase spectators expect to hear at Muay Thai fights, especially ones held in Thailand. However, on March 17, 2014, the ancient capital of Ayutthaya will be home to the annual World Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony. Muay Thai boxers from around the world return to Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya to pay respect to their teachers, and to pay homage to the legendary Muay Thai folk hero, Nai Khanom Tom.
In collaboration with the Professional Boxing Association of Thailand, the Ceremony showcase some of the sacred rituals of Thai boxing – a martial art that has kicked itself into the world’s spotlight over the years and gained fans the world over.
(Image Credit: MangoVine.net)
Several perceive Muay Thai as purely brute force. However, Muay Thai’s essence is based in traditional Thai ceremonies. In fact, during several Muay Thai fights, the fighters often show respect by performing rituals before the round begins.
For the upcoming ceremony in Thailand, Muay Thai boxers from more than 40 countries including United Kingdoms, Canada, Russia, France, Japan, Korea, Italy, Vietnam, USA, UAE, Spain and South Africa, participate in the Ceremony and show their appreciation for the beautiful art of Muay Thai.
There will also be a Miracle Muay Thai Festival, a championship match to win the W.P.M.F Belt and the professional Muay Thai competition of Thai and foreign boxers including the Beautiful Muay Thai or women’s match.
(Image Credit: Efrain Hernandez for CROM Martial Training)
You can download the map of the venue here. The program for the day is below:
- Attend the rituals to worship Nai Khanom Tom at Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Stadium.
- Miracle Muay Thai Festival at Wat Langka Khao, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Historical Park.
- The championship match to win the W.P.M.F Belt, Super Welterweight (154 pound) and Welterweight (147 pound) of World. Professional Muay Thai Federation and the professional Muay Thai competition of Thai and foreign boxers.
- Muay Thai Demonstration by Buakaw Banchamek : , K-1 Champion.
- In addition, there are a lot of Muay Thai products, which you can buy, and also Muay Thai courses from the famous Thai boxing camp. The tourists can taste the local Thai food such as Pad Thai, Thai noodle, Thai dessert etc.
- Learn and enjoy the demonstrations of Thai arts, handicrafts, the traditional Thai tattoo, making of Aranyik swords, Muay Thai Gallery and performing of Thai martial arts.
- Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony.
- Welcome reception, enjoy “Amazing Thailand” Show.
To learn more about the event, click here.