• Travel Tips
We created the #ThailandInsider Series to give you a different perspective, a true insider perspective in the Land of Smiles. Join us as we take you on a journey to see a side of Thailand that you may not have discovered before. Ancient Ayutthaya is home to far more than breathtaking ruins. Here’s how to spend a day exploring Thailand’s former capital, with everything from must-try local cuisine to Muay Thai!
In this Episode:
- Ayutthaya Historical Park: Ayutthaya Historical Park comprises four temples – Wat Phra Ram, Wat Phra Si Sanphet, Wat Mahathat, Wat Ratchaburana – the Royal Palace and Wiharn Phra Mongkol Bophit. Outside of the historical park, the sites are randomly peppered along the west, south and eastern parts of the outer island.
- Ayutthaya bike tours are a great way to explore all the temples!
- Roti sai mai is delicious Thai cotton candy. Find the stalls to come watch it made and take home a bag of this sweet treat.
- Boat noodles: Kuay Tiao Reua or Boat Noodles is one of the Ayutthaya’s specialties. These noodles were sold by the vendors in the wooden rowboats on the canals and rivers back in the early days. Today, most of the Boat Noodles are sold in a shop by the roadside. A bowl of classic Boat Noodles consists of rice noodles, pork liver, pig blood curd, roasted pork, pork balls, crispy fried pork skin and filled with dark brown soup. The Boat Noodles are normally served in a small bowl and you can choose the ingredients to go along based on your liking.
- World Wai Kru Ceremony: Every year, hundreds of Muay Thai boxers and enthusiasts from around the world come to Thailand to join the annual World Wai Kru Muay Thai Ceremony and to show their respect to their teachers and past Muay Thai masters.
- Sala Ayutthaya: Thank you to Sala Ayutthaya for hosting us! Set on the banks of the Chao Phraya river, this luxe, chic hotel is 2 km from the ancient ruins of Ayutthaya Historical Park.
Ready to visit Ayutthaya?
Browse our selection of special travel offers, packages, hotel discounts, and more!
Win a trip to Thailand!
Are you the #NextThailandInsider? If you’ve been to Thailand before, learn how you can enter to win a trip back to Thailand!